Our course is offered a hybrid of safely distanced, in-person days at The Mill, combined with dynamic, interactive online days from home.
Design for Abundance ~ Sow Seeds for the Future
Practice Land Stewardship Skills ~ Create Resilience in Your Communities
This one-of-a-kind Permaculture Design Course (PDC) provides a unique opportunity to gain hands-on ecological design experience while studying with leading permaculture designers and educators from the northeast.
"This was the most mindfully curated learning experience I have ever had"
Gather the skills to design for abundance in your home landscapes and resilience in your communities. Visit numerous permaculture demonstration sites. Participate in a guided ecological design project for real clients at residential and village sites around Shelburne Falls, MA. Tap into extensive resources and inspirations. Network with fellow ecological thinkers, gardeners, artists, activists, change makers, and planners. Participate in the development of our new land project and ongoing community permaculture demonstration sites in the village. Join us for three informative and dynamic weekends!
"An amazing opportunity to delve into permaculture and ecological design. Hands on workshops, inspiring site visits, and knowledgeable teachers, all gathered together for a well crafted seasonal series"
What Makes This Course Unique:
* This Sowing Solutions Permaculture Design Certification Course in Western Massachusetts is celebrating over a decade of Permaculture Education.
* This course provides an opportunity for you to gain direct permaculture design experience. Participants conduct a guided design practice alongside leading permaculturists from the northeast.
* We study numerous well-established permaculture demonstration sites to study thriving ecosystems, water harvesting, community structures, natural buildings, energy efficiency, and more.
* Gaining your internationally recognized certification with Sowing Solutions is an experience of empowerment, support, inspiration and skill building.
* Optional: Apply 3 or 4 college credits to your degree program with our course affiliation to UMASS Amherst and the Five College Consortium.
* Applications for partial scholarships and work trade discounts are available.
* All techniques, skills, and resources that you learn and gather in this course can be directly applied at your home.
This Permaculture Design Certification Course is offered seasonally with Sowing Solutions Permaculture Design & Education in Western MA, USA. This course is offered as a weekend course format over a series of weekends.
*There are alternate class sessions if you need to miss a weekend*
About The Certification:
A Permaculture Design Course Certificate signifies that one has completed a 72 hour design course, a study of the ethics, principles, and design practice of Permaculture. It means the holder of the certificate holds applied permaculture experience and a profound toolbox of permaculture techniques, strategies, solutions, resources, and skills. Our permaculture course offers 100 hours of permaculture study and practice.
Course Topics Covered:
*Mapmaking * Site Analysis of: Sunlight, Water, Access, Soil, Microclimates*
* Ecological Design Process * Permaculture Ethics & Principles *
*Rainwater Harvesting * Soil Improvement Techniques and Strategies *
*Deep Ecology * Agroforestry Systems * Nature Connection*
*Forest Gardening with: Perennial Foods, Medicines, Fuel, Habitat *
* Fungi Inoculation * EcoVillage & Community Life *
*Seeding & Greenhouse Tasks * Natural Building * New Garden Creation *
*Practical Permaculture Skills in Your Home * Fermentation & Food Preservation*
* Knowledge of Place *Carbon Farming & Carbon Sequestration*
Our Course Location:
We are thrilled to be offering our course at our local and inspiring venue: The Permaculture Place at the Mill in downtown Shelburne Falls in Western MA — our new community meeting place and resource center along the Deerfield River! It’s the home of Sowing Solutions Design & Education, and will be the design studio where students conduct their work for clients during the guided permaculture design process. Shelburne Falls is famous for the Bridge of Flowers and is home to many avid gardeners, artists, farmers, and craftspeople. There are a number of community and residential sites where students will have an opportunity to design and install permaculture projects!
Watch Video Footage From One of Our Courses:
This video was made by one of our graduates, who then went on to create the film: Inhabit, A Permaculture Perspective
About the Course
Our weekend series courses are offered seasonally. Gain your certification by attending this long-standing program!
Students of this one of a kind educational event will study numerous permaculture demonstration sites in the Western MA region.
Reserve Your Seat
Register today for the Permaculture Design Course! Request the detailed Course Information Packet and registration materials here.